Saturday, November 11, 2017

A Veterans Day Musing

There’s a picture of my PaPa hanging in my grandmother’s house that was taken by a journalist when he landed on the ground after skydiving at age 60.  My recollection of the event is dimming as time goes by, but the memory is still there. I was seven years old.  It wasn’t the first time my PaPa had jumped from an airplane. He was a paratrooper in Korea in that awful conflict and jumped behind enemy lines in several horrific battles.  He spent four years in the United States Army after spending four years in the United States Navy.  He was so patriotic and loved our country.  He certainly put his life on the line for it and received a Purple Heart for his battle wounds. I was the first of his four grandchildren and consider myself fortunate for having gotten to love him longer than the rest.  Today, PaPa, I think of you and thank you for your service to our great nation.  Sure do miss you.

#veteransday #Koreanwar #patriotism